[vorbis] Windows XP and MP3

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Thu Apr 12 14:00:53 PDT 2001

fungus wrote:

> "Paul C. Bryan" wrote:
> >
> > People have a choice about what software they will use. If they choose
> > Microsoft software, they will have to accept the conditions that accompany
> > it. The value proposition of Windows to many clearly exceeds the
> > restrictions they must accept.
> >

> Microsoft knows very well how their customers work.
>
> If Windows comes as standard with a pop-up box to
> "record the music to disk" every time you insert
> an audio CD then an awful lot of music is going
> to end up in wma format.
>
> All they have to do then is to encrypt it using
> the users personal key, and they're in business,
> or at least, a "business" they can sell to the
> record bosses. You can also expect the OS to
> have built in support for the new MMPS[*] servers.
>
> --
> <\___/>
> / O O \
> \_____/  FTB.
>
> [*] Microsoft Music Payment System (I am, of course,
> making all this up).

Of course, MS is itching to go to a subscription model (you pay for Office or
whatever each year, just to use is, whether you want to upgrade or not). If that works,
then they could just bundle a license payment in with the yearly MS payment.

Marshall

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410