[vorbis] Windows XP and MP3

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Thu Apr 12 14:01:25 PDT 2001

"Paul C. Bryan" <pbryan at creatia.com> wrote:

> People have a choice about what software they will use. If they choose
> Microsoft software, they will have to accept the conditions that accompany
> it. The value proposition of Windows to many clearly exceeds the
> restrictions they must accept.
>
> Instead of complaining about Microsoft, Fraunhofer, et al's practices, I
> think the most constructive thing we can do is focus our energy on
> creating open and competitive alternatives.

That is what is important: to have the option to choose. Alternatives.
I mean, I don't give a damn whether Microsoft will aggressively promote
its audio format and what lowblow punches will be taken to achieve that.
I'll use Vorbis and that's it (there's no reason to explain why, at least
not on this mailing list :-) ).
On the other hand, Microsoft will probably attract some record
companies to sell/distribute their music on-line using WMA
(WMA advert: built-in DRM in format & OS, great sound at
low/lower bitrates => faster downloads, bla, bla...).
So if you wanna buy music in this format, go ahead. If some artists
want to use this format for distribution/promotion, fine. But the
point is that there is always free, high-quality, no mambo-jumbo
DRM stuff (it will always end up cracked), no license hassle,
open source alternative - Ogg Vorbis.

Greetings,
Aleksandar