[vorbis] Re: Compiling vorbis-tools on FreeBSD

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Sun Apr 8 16:50:53 PDT 2001

Wayne Pascoe <wayne at penguinpowered.org.uk> wrote:

> I'm having some problems compiling vorbis-tools on FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE.

There is a port of vorbis-tools in the FreeBSD ports collection.

> configure:1897: gcc -o conftest  -I/usr/local/include   conftest.c
> -L/usr/local/lib -lao -ldl 1>&5
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -ldl
>
> I couldn't find a libdl on my machine.

Some platforms have dlopen(3) and friend in a separate library,
libdl.  Some, like FreeBSD, don't.

> I'm guessing my dlmalloc guess about what provides libdl was wrong.

Indeed.

> If anyone can help with any of this, I'd be truly grateful!

Use the port where this is fixed.

(I just noticed that the committers have badly messed up this port.
If it doesn't build in the current shape, stay tuned.  I need to
kick somebody.)

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de