[vorbis] Compiling vorbis-tools on FreeBSD

Wayne Pascoe wayne at penguinpowered.org.uk
Sun Apr 8 15:49:54 PDT 2001

Hi there,

I'm having some problems compiling vorbis-tools on FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE.

My configure line is
./configure --with-ogg-prefix=/usr/local \
--with-vorbis-prefix=/usr/local \
--with-ao-prefix=/usr/local --prefix=/usr/local

I have to put the --prefixes in because I don't know how to tell the
compiler to look in /usr/local/include instead of just in
/usr/include.

Without the --with-*-prefix sections, it would die on

checking for Ogg

As it stands, this is the last bit of my output.

checking for Ogg... yes
checking for Vorbis... yes
checking for ao... no
*** Could not run ao test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means ao was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved ao since it was installed.
configure: error: libao needed!

I have installed libogg, libvorbis and libao from the ports
collection.

A cat of config.log shows the following at the end :

configure:1897: gcc -o conftest  -I/usr/local/include   conftest.c  -L/usr/local/lib -lao -ldl 1>&5
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -ldl
configure: failed program was:
#line 1887 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#include <stdio.h>
#include <ao/ao.h>

int main() {
 return 0;
; return 0; }

I couldn't find a libdl on my machine. The closest thing that matched
in the ports section was libdlmalloc. This installed a libdlmalloc.so
in /usr/local/lib. I linked this to /usr/local/lib/libdl.so and the
configure exited without errors.

Now a make dies with

/usr/include/sys/socket.h:443: syntax error before `send'
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:443: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:444: syntax error before `sendto'
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:445: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:446: syntax error before `sendmsg'
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:446: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:447: syntax error before `off_t'
ogg123.c: In function `http_open':
ogg123.c:452: structure has no member named `sin_family'
ogg123.c:453: structure has no member named `sin_port'
gmake[1]: *** [ogg123.o] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/waynep/src/vorbis-tools-1.0beta4/ogg123'
gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I'm guessing my dlmalloc guess about what provides libdl was wrong. If
anyone can help with any of this, I'd be truly grateful!

TIA,

--
--Wayne--
Intestines inside                           | wayne at penguinpowered.org.uk