[vorbis] Hacking up streaming - we want to

Thomas Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Fri Sep 15 07:32:30 PDT 2000

Hello;

Tom Bishop wrote:

> > Sgrifennodd Tim Hurman:
> >
> > Hi Tim :)

> > >Real are usually pretty good when it comes to plugins, they usually
> > >provide a plugin fairly soon after the format starts being used, however
> > >as there does not seem to be much activity on the ogg streaming front (at
> > >least publicly viewable) it's unlikly they will motivate themselves to
> > >produce the plugin. MS on the other hand... who knows.
> >
> > Well, I've written to MS asking for pointers to their plugin
> > API.
>
> You can go to their site and search for ACM, might help?
> I think... Something in there should have pointers if that isn't it..
>
> >So far my mail's been forwarded to "Product Support and Services
> > group".  We'll see what happens.  I wouldn't personally like to get myself
> > involved in Windows coding, and I doubt any of the team here would either.
>
> Religious issues aside, Windows is clearly the MOST popular platform.
> How could a codec be considered "serious" at all if it isn't on the
> forefront of the most popular platform?
>
> Microsoft is a HUGE company... I would imagine it to be hard to get
> to the right person that has the power and interest to do something.
> But I think it is possible if you persist, (with a cheery attitude ;-)..
> Maybe they will fund you...

Hello;

At the engineering level I would contact

 Anders Klemets
   1 Microsoft Way
   Redmond, WA 98052-6399
   USA.
   E-mail: anderskl at microsoft.com

who works on MPEG-4 streams :

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-mpeg4streams-00.txt

Failing that, I would contact

Dave Thaler
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052

EMail: dthaler at microsoft.com

who works in multicasting.

> > Maybe it's worth talking to Real about this now and seeing if they
> > have a position on it yet?
>
> It would seem that Real Player, and other products from Real
> should use your codec..  Would think they have SDK's for
> their kit don't they?
>
> > ..ciaran
>
> Regards,
> Tom