[vorbis] Hacking up streaming - we want to

Tom Bishop Tom at Truly.nu
Fri Sep 15 07:21:26 PDT 2000

> Sgrifennodd Tim Hurman:
>
> Hi Tim :)
>
> >On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Ciaran Anscomb wrote:
> >
> >> Looking through the dev list, I see no current work on plugins for
> >> RealPlayer or Windows Media Player.
> >
> >Real are usually pretty good when it comes to plugins, they usually
> >provide a plugin fairly soon after the format starts being used, however
> >as there does not seem to be much activity on the ogg streaming front (at
> >least publicly viewable) it's unlikly they will motivate themselves to
> >produce the plugin. MS on the other hand... who knows.
>
> Well, I've written to MS asking for pointers to their plugin
> API.

You can go to their site and search for ACM, might help?
I think... Something in there should have pointers if that isn't it..

>So far my mail's been forwarded to "Product Support and Services
> group".  We'll see what happens.  I wouldn't personally like to get myself
> involved in Windows coding, and I doubt any of the team here would either.

Religious issues aside, Windows is clearly the MOST popular platform.
How could a codec be considered "serious" at all if it isn't on the
forefront of the most popular platform?

Microsoft is a HUGE company... I would imagine it to be hard to get
to the right person that has the power and interest to do something.
But I think it is possible if you persist, (with a cheery attitude ;-)..
Maybe they will fund you...

> Maybe it's worth talking to Real about this now and seeing if they
> have a position on it yet?

It would seem that Real Player, and other products from Real
should use your codec..  Would think they have SDK's for
their kit don't they?

> ..ciaran

Regards,
Tom