[vorbis] Hacking up streaming - we want to

Ciaran Anscomb ciarana at rd.bbc.co.uk
Fri Sep 15 06:34:43 PDT 2000

Sgrifennodd Tim Hurman:

Hi Tim :)

>On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Ciaran Anscomb wrote:
>
>> Looking through the dev list, I see no current work on plugins for
>> RealPlayer or Windows Media Player.
>
>Real are usually pretty good when it comes to plugins, they usually
>provide a plugin fairly soon after the format starts being used, however
>as there does not seem to be much activity on the ogg streaming front (at
>least publicly viewable) it's unlikly they will motivate themselves to
>produce the plugin. MS on the other hand... who knows.

Well, I've written to MS asking for pointers to their plugin
API.  So far my mail's been forwarded to "Product Support and Services
group".  We'll see what happens.  I wouldn't personally like to get myself
involved in Windows coding, and I doubt any of the team here would either.

Maybe it's worth talking to Real about this now and seeing if they
have a position on it yet?

..ciaran