[vorbis] Hacking up streaming - we want to

Tim Hurman kano at kano.org.uk
Fri Sep 15 05:23:26 PDT 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Ciaran Anscomb wrote:

> We've currently managed to hack liveice and icecast to stream over HTTP
> and play that with ogg123.  But from reading the dev list, I see that's
> also been done here, probably in a more elegant way - can anyone point
> me at the right place to see the current state of this?

When I did this a while back I had heard rumors that icecast were going to
support ogg properly, possibly using rtsp/rtp protocols. However I have
not seen or heard anything more on this subject, has anyone else?

If this is not going to happen, what choices are there regarding ogg
streaming servers?. HTTP streaming would be a great start and would
certanly allow people currently who use real/mpeg a choice.

> Looking through the dev list, I see no current work on plugins for
> RealPlayer or Windows Media Player.

Real are usually pretty good when it comes to plugins, they usually
provide a plugin fairly soon after the format starts being used, however
as there does not seem to be much activity on the ogg streaming front (at
least publicly viewable) it's unlikly they will motivate themselves to
produce the plugin. MS on the other hand... who knows.

As I said before I would really like to see some HTTP servers for ogg, is
there anything in the pipeline?

Tim.