[vorbis] Games...

Pedriana, Paul PPedriana at maxis.com
Thu Oct 5 18:03:43 PDT 2000

   >>As a fellow "lead programmer at a" [not-so-major]
   >>"game comapy" I understand your predicament. But
   >>instead of waiting for some volunteer to do it
   >>for free, why don't you convince EA to put someone
   >>on the task? I realize that good optimizers are
   >>expensive, but surely EA is looking at way more
   >>than one programmer's salary in FhG licensing fees.

I'm not waiting for any volunteers; I am planning on
doing it myself. I just don't want to do it until I
have some reason to believe that what I do will not have
to be redone again later after it changes. Why don't
I "convince EA to put someone on the task"? I have convinced
EA (well, Maxis) and that person is me right now, though
we have others that could do it too. I am simply more
motivated than they are at this point. In actuality, Maxis
sound programming is totally separate from EA Sports sound
programming which is separate from Westwood sound
programming. So each division will have to write their
own wrapper (if they want to use Vorbis) and that is not
a big deal, really.

As for EA paying FhG licensing fees, AFAIK, we don't do
that. I personally would rather use no MP3s than pay
licensing fees for it, and in fact that's what we've
done. I think other studios within EA have taken a
similar approach.

Paul