[vorbis] MP3 to OGG translation?

Patrik Rådman patrik at infa.abo.fi
Sat Jun 17 08:12:37 PDT 2000

> Hello.  I'm new to the list, and I've dutifully, like the good newbie (in
> this list anyway) that I am, have searched through the archives, but I can
> find no answer to my question.
>
> SO...is there, or can there be, a viable MP3 to OGG translator, so that
> those of us with gigabytes of MP3's (legalities aside) can translate them
> to OGGs?

I wouldn't do that. Both MP3 and Vorbis use lossy compression, and using one
type of lossy compression on top of another doesn't sound like a good idea
to me...

I'm ripping all my new CDs with Vorbis, but my old MP3s stays the
way they are. With a suitable plugin for the player, it doesn't matter what
the format is, anyway.

That's my 0.02 euro... :)

--
  Patrik Rådman  ·  patrik at iki dot fi  ·  http://www.iki.fi/patrik/
       "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."  -- RFC 1925