[vorbis] MP3 to OGG translation?

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Jun 17 08:21:19 PDT 2000

At 07:45 AM 6/17/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello.  I'm new to the list, and I've dutifully, like the good newbie (in
>this list anyway) that I am, have searched through the archives, but I can
>find no answer to my question.
>
>SO...is there, or can there be, a viable MP3 to OGG translator, so that
>those of us with gigabytes of MP3's (legalities aside) can translate them
>to OGGs?

That would depend on what you mean by 'viable', I suppose. It's easy to do,
technically (in fact, there's a program to do it in CVS, if you have mpg123
as well). However, the resulting vorbis file will be: probably bigger than
the mp3 file, and DEFINATELY of lower quality than that mp3 file.

There is NO way around this problem - the two formats are too different,
and lossily encoding a file that has already been lossily encoded is ALWAYS
a bad idea.

You're best off keeping your MP3 collection, and perhaps slowly re-encoding
(from source material) some of them over time, and adding new stuff in
vorbis format.

Michael