[vorbis] Next Vorbis beta, MPEG+ enkoder

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Wed Jul 26 15:12:32 PDT 2000

> Second BETA is slated for this weekend, along with VBR 96, 128, 160, 192,
> 256kbps stereo modes.  1.0 final (with CBR) is optimisitcally scheduled
> for the week before LinuxExpo.

I forgot to ask one thing: will you disable the 16kHz cut-off?

> *shrug*  Then it's no improvement over the current mp3 situation.  Is it
> filterbank based?  If so, we're even worse off as there's no encoder
> source and it's still infringing FhG's patents.

I think it is, but since I don't understand all the technical aspects -
check out the details on how this encoder works on author's page at
http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/73884/audiocoder_eng.html
Anyway I'm pretty sure that this encoder isn't patent free. :)

> Note that Vorbis would be just as fast as mp3 in decode if we had an iMDCT
> that was as fast as what other codecs are using.  I wrote the one in
> Vorbis many years ago when there was no source available for such a
> beast and it's not particualrly fast.

But you can improve this in the future?