[vorbis] Next Vorbis beta, MPEG+ enkoder

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Jul 26 14:11:52 PDT 2000

> Hi.
>
> When can we expect the next beta version of Vorbis encoder (with some
> tagging & encoding options I hope)?

Vorbize has always been able to tag, and there are now patches to OggLAME to
do tagging.  All the plugins can hadle the tags.

Second BETA is slated for this weekend, along with VBR 96, 128, 160, 192,
256kbps stereo modes.  1.0 final (with CBR) is optimisitcally scheduled for
the week before LinuxExpo.

> Also, today I tested MPEG+ encoder which you can download from
> http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/73884/mppenc.zip (win encoder)
> http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/73884/in_mpp.zip (winamp plug-in)
> http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/73884/mppdec.zip (win decoder)
> It sounds great! Using VBR it gives files with bitrate between 128-160kbps
> with 18kHz bandwidth and they are as good as AAC (Liquid Audio), maybe even
> slightly better!! No pre-echo and good high-frequency handling. And decoding
> is pretty fast too (my impression is that it is fast as mp3 decoding is),
> though winamp plug-in isn't quite stable. My only objection for this encoder
> is that it adds a small amount of silence to the decoded wav (it looks like
> Vorbis is the only lossy encoder out there that has this problem solved).
> The encoder/decoder is free to use, but it is copyrighted by the author
> (Andree Buschmann) and there is only source code for the decoder.

*shrug*  Then it's no improvement over the current mp3 situation.  Is it
filterbank based?  If so, we're even worse off as there's no encoder source and
it's still infringing FhG's patents.

Note that Vorbis would be just as fast as mp3 in decode if we had an iMDCT
that was as fast as what other codecs are using.  I wrote the one in Vorbis
many years ago when there was no source available for such a beast and it's
not particualrly fast.

Monty