[vorbis] ogglame and LAME 3.85 beta

Tamito KAJIYAMA kajiyama at grad.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp
Mon Jul 24 03:20:54 PDT 2000

Hi there,

I have a question on ogglame, especially on its compression
quality.

I've download the binary package of ogglame from www.vorbis.com.
It works fine.  I've also tried LAME 3.85 beta that supports the
encoding and decoding of Vorbis streams.  I believe that ogglame
is a beta version of LAME.  I built LAME using libvorbis in the
CVS nightly snapshot fetched on July 19th.  I fixed a bug in
lame3.85/vorbis_interface.c to get a correct output bitstream
(the fix has been already in the CVS repository of LAME).

My question is that the file size of a Vorbis stream encoded by
ogglame is about 30% smaller than one encoded by LAME.  Where
does this difference come from?  Does ogglame have some special
optimizations built in the encoder?  I was not able to achieve
the better compression quality using LAME with any command line
options.

Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks,

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <kajiyama at grad.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp>