[vorbis] ogglame and LAME 3.85 beta

Andy Key scsiprog at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 24 04:28:48 PDT 2000

Hi Tamito,

>My question is that the file size of a Vorbis stream encoded by
>ogglame is about 30% smaller than one encoded by LAME.  Where
>does this difference come from?  Does ogglame have some special
>optimizations built in the encoder?  I was not able to achieve
>the better compression quality using LAME with any command line
>options.

The difference you're seeing in file size is most likely due to different
bitrates.  I remember seeing a message that the source that's currently in
CVS is set to ~160 kbps, while the precompiled ogglame (from vorbis.com) was
linked against an older version of the library and set at about 128 kbps.

Libvorbis right now only has one predefined mode ("bitrate"), and so
changing command-line options for lame won't make any difference.

regards,
Andy Key