[vorbis] Alpha

Rok Papez rok.papez at kiss.uni-lj.si
Fri Jul 28 01:30:33 PDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Michael Smith wrote:

> That's likely not the only problem on Alpha - the wav header reading
> code will only work on 32 bit/little endian machines (i.e. x86, and
> likely not much else). It's unportable code even there, since it
> relies heavily on the compiler not struct padding.

Since when did this make something "unportable" ? You will just have
to be smarter when reading the structure since you won't be able to do:
read(fd,(void*)ptrMyWavStruct,sizeof(*ptrMyWavStruct));
And this is stupid for portable code anyway ;-).

Doesn't gcc have a #pragma for specifying the padding ?
One compiler I worked with was using
#pragma pack(n)
for changing the padding.
and
#pargma pack(0)
turned padding off.

--
best regards,
Rok Papez.

P.S.: No, I don't have an Alpha and so I can't help with a port :-).