[vorbis] Alpha

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Jul 28 07:52:47 PDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:30:33 Rok Papez wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > That's likely not the only problem on Alpha - the wav header reading
> > code will only work on 32 bit/little endian machines (i.e. x86, and
> > likely not much else). It's unportable code even there, since it
> > relies heavily on the compiler not struct padding.
>
> Since when did this make something "unportable" ? You will just have
> to be smarter when reading the structure since you won't be able to do:
> read(fd,(void*)ptrMyWavStruct,sizeof(*ptrMyWavStruct));
> And this is stupid for portable code anyway ;-).

Well, yes. That was precisely my point. The current code does more or less
precisely that. Which is why it doesn't work on anything much other than x86,
and is dependent on the compiler not padding even there.

I just finished writing, compiling, and am halfway through testing some code
that should fix all this up (and so do it all sensibly).

Since I don't use vorbize myself, I'll probably send this off to Kenneth to
check and commit (I wrote this code for OggEnc, but the original version was
taken from vorbize (which was taken from somewhere else...)).

Michael