[vorbis] Alpha

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Jul 27 22:34:11 PDT 2000

At 08:16 PM 7/26/00 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 02:36:18PM -0700, Monty wrote:
>> > I'm going to gather that no work has been done to make the vorbis stuff
>> > work on Alpha,
>>
>> Vorbis (at least the main build; lib + examples) should work fine on
alpha;
>> various developers do have alpha access.  Vorbize is likely the only
thing to
>> need real work on Alpha.
>
>If Alpha is endian-swapped, yup... hmmm... could someone with more experience
>than I in these matters take care of making the file handling endian-safe?

That's likely not the only problem on Alpha - the wav header reading code
will only work on 32 bit/little endian machines (i.e. x86, and likely not
much else). It's unportable code even there, since it relies heavily on the
compiler not struct padding.

I didn't see anything else in vorbize that would be unportable, but I'll
check again. When I rewrite that code for oggenc, I'll push it back into
vorbize (which is where I took it from to begin with). I don't have any
hardware to test it on (well, I suppose I do, but it doesn't have any audio
hardware and is on the wrong end of a modem link), so it'll still need
testing.

>Hopefully libao is clean, so doing basically the same thing to ogg123 (which
>is 95% vorbisfile anyway) should be easier.

I'll check ogg123 as well, but vorbisfile is definately clean, so if libao
is, I doubt there are any problems here.

Michael