[vorbis] Next Vorbis beta, MPEG+ enkoder

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Wed Jul 26 13:45:02 PDT 2000

Hi.

When can we expect the next beta version of Vorbis encoder (with some
tagging & encoding options I hope)?

Also, today I tested MPEG+ encoder which you can download from
http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/73884/mppenc.zip (win encoder)
http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/73884/in_mpp.zip (winamp plug-in)
http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/73884/mppdec.zip (win decoder)
It sounds great! Using VBR it gives files with bitrate between 128-160kbps
with 18kHz bandwidth and they are as good as AAC (Liquid Audio), maybe even
slightly better!! No pre-echo and good high-frequency handling. And decoding
is pretty fast too (my impression is that it is fast as mp3 decoding is),
though winamp plug-in isn't quite stable. My only objection for this encoder
is that it adds a small amount of silence to the decoded wav (it looks like
Vorbis is the only lossy encoder out there that has this problem solved).
The encoder/decoder is free to use, but it is copyrighted by the author
(Andree Buschmann) and there is only source code for the decoder.