[vorbis] File Extension .OGG

Jeff floss at cloud9.net
Sat Jul 1 12:51:04 PDT 2000

        The only _practical_ reason I can think of is that the formats are
similar; the same compression standards are applied to both the video and
the audio versions of vorbis.  Its part of the same standard, just as MP3
is part of MPEG, and AVI/WAV are part of RIFF.  Of course, the only person
who really _needs_ to know this is the software/hardware decoding the
data.  The humans USING the data can make the simple connection between
*.ogg and whatever we choose as the video extension.  The human doesn't
really NEED to know this info, just that one is sound and one is video :-P
But if that particular human wants to remember, he/she can.
        WHat I'm getting down to is that naming files based on the
standard they use is pretty silly when it comes to useablility.   If
you're an anal programmer who needs to know that AVI and WAV are both part
of the RIFF specification, you can ddamn well remember that :-P

        --=Floss