[vorbis] vorbis compatibility

Segher Boessenkool segher at wanadoo.nl
Fri Dec 15 18:33:08 PST 2000

Gabriel Bouvigne wrote:

> I was wondering about Vorbis compatibility.
> It seems that wavelets and joint-stereo could be introduced later on Vorbis.
> I know the specifications are now frozen, but there is no real spec docs
> yet. So will the vorbis players still be able to decode Vorbis once joint or
> wavelet will be introduced, or will they need to be updated?

New players can play old streams. "Backward compatibility". Unless, of
course, you got a player I that I screwed up. Changes are slim, thankfully,
as all patches are reviewed ;-)

If new features are introduced into Vorbis, the bitstream format will not
change, so old payers will be able to read the stream, thay just won't know
what to do with certain parts of it. We cant do anything about this
situation, as we don't know at this time what features we will incorporate
into Vorbis at a later time.

Not only are wavelets et. al. not implemented in the encoder, not in the
decoder either; in fact, nothing has been decided about it (as far as I
know).

Dagdag,

Segher