[vorbis] vorbis compatibility

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Dec 15 07:05:18 PST 2000

At 11:08 AM 12/15/00 +0100, you wrote:
>I was wondering about Vorbis compatibility.
>It seems that wavelets and joint-stereo could be introduced later on Vorbis.
>I know the specifications are now frozen, but there is no real spec docs
>yet. So will the vorbis players still be able to decode Vorbis once joint or
>wavelet will be introduced, or will they need to be updated?

No - these features are entirely unimplemented. Decoders will need updating
once they've been added (note that this is ONLY a recompile. The API is
frozen - though there may be additions to it, plain decode will work as-is).
However, existing vorbis files will continue to work with future decoders,
forever.

Michael