[vorbis] Here is a link to what they say about "Other Formats"

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Mon Dec 11 14:46:47 PST 2000

Steven Bailey wrote:

> > > They list:
> > >                Atrac 3,  (E)Pac,   AAC
>
> Hmm.  Maybe this isn't the full list, but I can't help but note that
> there are a LOT of formats that are not listed here.  TwinVQ, for one.
> I know tons of people who have used that format at one time or another.
> I also note that WMA isn't listed.  (That could just be because WMA
> doesn't have enough quality to make it worth prosecuting.)  (grin)
>
> And lots of others.  MP+... well, nevermind.  There already is some
> royalties being exchanged there.  I forgot.
>
> And then there's vorbis which, frankly, has been making a pretty big
> splash in the high fidelity compression circles.  All these formats that
> FHG make no mention of.  Maybe they've already taken a good look and
> seen that there isn't a legal leg for them to stand on against vorbis?
> Maybe that's too optimistic?  I don't know.  I just think it is
> interesting that those three formats were mentioned.
>
> I have to agree that they must have balls of steel to have the effing
> *GALL* to take on Sony and Dolby with Atrac3, which, for the record, has
> artifacts that don't even sound like mp3.  I'd love to see what patent
> infringements they are claiming there.  I hope that does go to court.
> They'd never win, and it would set a wonderful precedent, eh?
>
> Steven

Hello;

Remember, just because you (or Dolby) has a patent doesn't mean that
you (or even the patent) isn't infringing on another patent -

Yes, a patent can infringe on another patent :)

If you patent a pencil, and I patent a pencil with an erasure, then I
have to get a license from you to license my invention.

If they (Thompson) are aggressive, I would guess that they
will sue Vorbis eventually, regardless of the Merits.

<I said this before>
The best defense is a good offense : to have openly licensed Vorbis
patents in place.
</I said this before>

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme at on-the-i.com     http://www.on-the-i.com