[vorbis] Here is a link to what they say about "Other Formats"

Steven Bailey snbailey at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 11 15:03:05 PST 2000

Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> Hello;
>
> Remember, just because you (or Dolby) has a patent doesn't mean that
> you (or even the patent) isn't infringing on another patent -
>
> Yes, a patent can infringe on another patent :)
>
> If you patent a pencil, and I patent a pencil with an erasure, then I
> have to get a license from you to license my invention.
>
> If they (Thompson) are aggressive, I would guess that they
> will sue Vorbis eventually, regardless of the Merits.
>
> <I said this before>
> The best defense is a good offense : to have openly licensed Vorbis
> patents in place.
> </I said this before>

Yes, all true, but how much of this actually comes down to who is right
and who is wrong?  Small-time patent lawsuits may be on the legal up and
up, but any time you get a heavyweight (let alone two) in the court, it
is no longer about justice, it is about the Golden Rule:  He who has the
gold makes the rules.  I'm afraid there are precious few exceptions to
this.

I'd be glad to be wrong about this.  However, what we are taught about
patent law in an engineering curriculum is to "Prepare yourself to be
screwed over or get with a big company."  It's cynical as all get out, I
know.  That's what they are *teaching,* though.

Steven