[vorbis] Here is a link to what they say about "Other Formats"

Steven Bailey snbailey at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 11 14:40:09 PST 2000

> > They list:
> >                Atrac 3,  (E)Pac,   AAC

Hmm.  Maybe this isn't the full list, but I can't help but note that
there are a LOT of formats that are not listed here.  TwinVQ, for one.
I know tons of people who have used that format at one time or another.
I also note that WMA isn't listed.  (That could just be because WMA
doesn't have enough quality to make it worth prosecuting.)  (grin)

And lots of others.  MP+... well, nevermind.  There already is some
royalties being exchanged there.  I forgot.

And then there's vorbis which, frankly, has been making a pretty big
splash in the high fidelity compression circles.  All these formats that
FHG make no mention of.  Maybe they've already taken a good look and
seen that there isn't a legal leg for them to stand on against vorbis?
Maybe that's too optimistic?  I don't know.  I just think it is
interesting that those three formats were mentioned.

I have to agree that they must have balls of steel to have the effing
*GALL* to take on Sony and Dolby with Atrac3, which, for the record, has
artifacts that don't even sound like mp3.  I'd love to see what patent
infringements they are claiming there.  I hope that does go to court.
They'd never win, and it would set a wonderful precedent, eh?

Steven