[vorbis] HOWTO: Use grip as a great oggenc frontend.

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Sun Aug 20 13:51:13 PDT 2000

I've seen a lot of people in many forums asking for vorbis frontends for
Linux.

A little bit ago, I switched my roomate over from encoding to mp3 to
encoding to vorbis. To make the transition as painless as possible I
wanted to let her continue using GRIP as her encoder frontend. To actually
accomplish this project, I realized that if any real work was required on
my part it would never be completed (so source hacking is right out).

So here is the quick destructions on how I configured grip to be a
OGG/Vorbis encoder. This assumes you have vorbis-tools from a recent
beta-2 cvs installed, and grip 2.94 installed and working with a mp3
encoder.

*Get into grip.
*Goto config/mp3
*set encoder to other
*set MP3 executable to
/usr/local/bin/oggenc
*set MP3 command-line to
-m %b -t %o %f
*set MP3 file format to (the presence and absence of quotes is very important)
%*n" -a "%*a" -l "%*d" -c "CDDBID=%i" -c "TRACK=%t" -o "/usr/local/ogg/[%a]-[%d]-[%t]-[%n]-[%i].ogg
*goto options
*set encoding bitrate to desired mode (i.e. 3 *NOT* 160)
*set number of CPUs to use for SMP
*goto id3
*Turn OFF add id3 tags to mp3

That should do it.. You won't get encoding status, but it works fine, and
multiple cpu mode works fine too.. Be careful what you set the
"bitrate" too, oggenc doesn't like getting bogus mode values currently.

When adjusting your file name and other options, be careful with the
quotes. They are carefully placed to get around limitations in grip
(i.e. you can't using things like track name in the command line field).

I'm not sure that I'm using the comment option correctly. I don't know if
it's adding a raw comment or if I'm getting something like
COMMENT=CDDBID=blah. Whatever it is, I'm currently using that because my
database stuff MUST have a track number and CDDBID for every track, if
it's currently going in weird, I can clean it up later.

I hope this is useful to some of you. :P
Happy ogging.