[vorbis] beta2?

Hugo van der Merwe hugo at mailroom.com
Mon Aug 21 04:43:16 PDT 2000

The debian vorbis-tools package is labeled version 1.0beta2-1 - does this
mean that better compression for stereo has been implemented? (I forgot
what the correct term for this was.) I am waiting with a couple of CD's I
would have ripped and made mp3's of (I don't have a multi-cd shuttle in
my laptop... ;), so that I can rather make ogg files, but I don't want to
make them now and have to remake them later. (Decoding and re-encoding
using lossy compression will give a worse result than just encoding once,
right?)

That brings up the question - will the quality of vorbis streams produced
by vorbize continue to improve, or will there be a point at which I can be
sure that it will make good quality streams that will not soon become
"obsolete" (in quality)? This stereo thing is of course a good example of
what I mean...

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe