[Vorbis-dev] Again: Next libvorbis release?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Mar 5 21:37:03 PST 2009

Am 05.03.2009 um 23:27 schrieb Ralph Giles:

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
>
>> I am done with the initial LaTeX conversion
>
> Wow, thanks for doing that!
>
> Doesn't look bad. HTML output from LaTeX has come a long way. Still
> get nonsense anchor names, but the docbook stylesheets did that too.
>
> pdflatex worked fine for me on both macos and linux.
>
> Issues I noticed in a quick look through:
>
> * I'm surprised it can't import xifish.pdf instead of the png version?

Well, pdflatex can use xifish.pdf. But it doesn't because I add this
line:
   \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.png}
Now, you can get it to prefer the PDF by changing it to:
   \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.pdf,.png}

Why didn't I do that then? Well, in an attempt to get htlatex use the
PNG version and pdflatex the PDF version. In the final version, I'll
change it to executing "  \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.png}" *only*
when using htlatex -- this is not difficult, just not yet done.

> * Chapter 8 is labeled vorbis-spec-residue instead of
> vorbis:spec:residue, so references to it are not resolved.

To think I used to believe that I know how to use regex search and
replace... :). Fixed.

> * The last paragraph of lookup1_values in chapter 9 has a continued
> \varname{} which should be split in three.

Fixed. Note that I converted it straight from the Docbook, where it is
the same way.

> * A number of the Verbatim pseudocode sections have too long a line
> length for the pdf pages.

Yup. Just as in the Docbook files. I made a point out of *not*
touching that. Definitely not great, but at least it is not worse than
before, and no regressions due to me mixing up something in the
formatting.

Another thing some people might find annoying are the boxes that
surround all hyperlinks in the PDF. I can turn this off, or
alternatively, make the link *text* colored. The colors themselves are
also customizable. Just tell me what you prefer.

> On the last one, originally the spec was written directly in html
> (circa 2001) and all the pseudocode was like this. Before stylesheets,
> it was a reasonable choice. When I did the docbook conversion I
> started converting everything to numbered lists, but wasn't entirely
> happy with the results; especially as later the pseudocode gets much
> more code-like, with flow control, but still occasionally wants
> reference to line numbers. All of which is to say, currently it's not
> consistent, and you should feel free to do any third thing that works
> better.

Eventually, I think the whole pseudocode should be changed to either
use the listings package or algoritmicx or something like that. For
both, the result will look much better, and will get nice bonuses like
keyword formatting, easy indention change, line breaking etc..

I could take care of this, too, but I'd prefer to do this in a second
step -- I'll *only* do this if I know it is not going to get thrown
away. I.e. I'll wait to see if my work so far (after I cleaned up all
buglets you still uncover) is accepted at all. For the same reason, I
haven't bothered integrating this into your build system. I already
spent considerable time on this, and before I spend much more, I would
like to know whether it is thumbs up or down on this :).

> Likewise with the '[long_name]' notation for vectors.

Aye, definitely should be changed. But again, I thought it best to
first make the huge format change, and verify that there are no
regressions in the content. Then, once there is a stable base, one can
work on improving that.

This leaves me with a few questions:

1) Can anybody comment on the wrong formulas I pointed out in my

2) Assuming I fix the points Ralph mentioned above (and whatever other
stuff you guys through at me, assuming it is reasonable), who is
responsible for deciding whether this get

3) So... let's assume for a moment you guys accept this, and thus end
up with properly building specs/ docs again...

   When is the next libvorbis release?
   What is blocking it?
   Any way I can help?  :-)

Cheers,