[Vorbis-dev] Ambisonia proposal (was Re: vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA - Help testing.)

e deleflie edeleflie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 00:22:59 PDT 2008

thanks Conrad,

You can see an archive of the discussions here:
http://groups.google.com/group/ambisonics

There's also been many discussions on the Sursound list but they dont
publicise their archives.

The draft spec can be seen here:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4dtw69_3626qqq6st

Are you saying that I should create a page on the Xiph Wiki?

> Also, there has been some recent work on channel mappings for OggPCM
> (uncompressed PCM data in an Ogg container), which may be related:
>
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Channel_mapping_examples

It is indeed related. We are proposing a different ambisonic channel
scheme (not speaker mapping though) called N3D (different to the usual
FuMa scheme). The N3D scheme has a number of 'future proof'
advantages, including no extra header info required and support for
Higher Orders (up to 6th and beyond). It is also believed that the N3D
scheme is more compatible with Vorbis compression.

We were hoping to get some feedback from the vorbis-dev team and then
feed our draft spec back to the greater ambisonic community (i.e. post
it to sursound).

Etienne