[Vorbis-dev] Ambisonia proposal (was Re: vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA - Help testing.)

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Wed Sep 24 23:39:37 PDT 2008

2008/9/25 e deleflie <edeleflie at gmail.com>:
> Hi Vorbis-dev,

Hi,

> I've been on this list for a couple of weeks, but its been quiet, so I
> dont know who is who.
>
> My name is Etienne Deleflie, I am the creator of www.ambisonia.com,
> and I am (together with the Ambisonic community) looking for a
> 'delivery format' for Ambisonic data.
>
> There has been a lot of discussion on the sursound list (and even more
> off-list) about how Ambisonics could be wrapped into Vorbis compressed
> streams. A group of around 10 of us have been putting together a
> 'proposal' (given our understanding of Vorbis) of how this could be
> done. The aim of this group is to have a coherent front in discussions
> with the vorbis-dev people ... to facilitate a reasonable and strong
> integration.
>
> Ambisonics is a fast growing field and we really need to cement a
> strong, open, future proof, Internet friendly delivery format... we
> feel Vorbis is a good fit.
>
> Would the Vorbis-dev team be amenable to considering our proposal?

Of course, and you can all be part of the vorbis-dev team by just
participating :-)

Please send a pointer to an archive of your discussions, as well as the
current form of the proposal. It would be useful if these were linked from
a page on wiki.xiph.org, which is where we usually develop new specifications.
When you've made a new page, please link it from:

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Work_In_Progress

Also, there has been some recent work on channel mappings for OggPCM
(uncompressed PCM data in an Ogg container), which may be related:

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Channel_mapping_examples

cheers,

Conrad.