[Vorbis-dev] Cross compiling Linux -> windows has broken

zmorris at mac.com zmorris at mac.com
Sun May 4 09:52:44 PDT 2008

On May 4, 2008, at 4:42 AM, Tuomo Latto wrote:
> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>> Ralph Giles wrote:
>>> Shouldn't do any harm, but shouldn't @OGG_LIBS@ come *after* the
>>> vorbis dependency?
>>
>> I thought not. For smarter C linkers is shouldn't make any difference
>> for the dumber ones it usually resolves from left to right so that
>> libogg should come first because it provides stuff for libvorbis.
>
> http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/StopUndefinedReferences
> http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/v2faq/faq8_10.html
> http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/an_introduction_to_gcc/gccintro_18.html

Hi All, just wanted to add that I am cross compiling on Mac OS with
mingw in Xcode (for Windows), and my lib list under Project Settings-
 >Other Linker Flags has to go:

-lvorbisfile -lvorbisenc -lvorbis -logg

which seems backwards to me.  I originally had ogg then vorbis.  It
took me several hours of bashing my head against linker errors before
I finally stumbled upon this solution in a forum.  Ideally, it would
be nice if ogg vorbis could link in any order.  So if gcc is "smart"
and ming is "dumb" then I think it should be programmed to work
intuitively in the dumb case since the smart linkers can take care of
themselves.  (unless as with politicians there are similar numbers of
smart and dumb...)

--Zack