[Vorbis-dev] OggDisk?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat May 5 12:09:42 PDT 2007

Petr Tomasek wrote:

Your English is clear, but quite why this is needed
and what you're actually suggesting aren't.

> I've seen many new standards on the Xiph page.
> Have you thought about creating something like
> "OggDisk", that would correspond to CD, DVD,
> BD... disks?
>
> I mean data structure (propably on any filesystem)
> that could be used for audio and video (and perhaps
> for images too?).
>
 > Desired features:
>  - Ogg centric
>  - designed to be filesystem/disk type independant
> (so that you can use it both with floppy disk and
> 1TB futuristic hologram discs - and of course anything
> else - CD, DVD, HD-DVD, BD-DVD, flash disk, hard disk
> location...)
>  - having "more levels" - so you can have e.g.
> "a film" -> "a collection of films" -> "a collection of collections"
>  - easily detectable (while inserting disk e.g.)
>  - the spec would guarantee that every compliant
> player will refuse to play DRM-ed content
I'll comment on the others as a whole, but this is
particularly noteworthy.  A spec can't guarantee
this.  The license for the reference code could
(I'm not sure what GPL3 looks like at the moment),
but Xiph libraries to this point have been MIT
licensed and in any case it would probably be
counter-productive.  No technical solutions to
legal/social questions...

>  - (like DVD's) having the possibility to have
> "intro's" and similar, but letting the user
> start directly the desired content (film, etc.)
>
> So my question is: did already someone come up
> with similar idea?...

I don't think it's been suggested before, but it's
a little disorganised as a suggestion.  You start
off by suggesting something that's FS/media
independent.  FS independent could mean:
1. It doesn't need a filesystem, something like
    CD audio which specifies how audio data gets
    stored on a CD without using a filesystem.
2. Can be put on any filesystem.  This is just a
    file.

However your second set of suggestions look like
you want some kind of CD or DVD analog that
contains its data using Ogg-related codecs.

I /think/ what you're suggesting as OggDisk would
be a raw Ogg stream on the media with some
playlist information.  This kind of file-system-
less approach used to be used for analogue (by
necessity) and by formats like CD, DAT and
MiniDisc, mainly for simplicity.  DVDs use a
filesystem, as does HD MiniDisc, because it
allows for more widespread support.

In the case of mp3 and avi there are DVD players
that will play those files from a DVD (use computer
to copy files onto DVD, put DVD into player).
There are also dedicated CD players which play
audio /files/ (e.g. mp3, wav, Vorbis(?)) from
a data CD (though cheap flash and hard drive players
are squeezing them out).

What you want could probably be provided by a
standard way of using XSPF to build collections
of playlists of local files and have them
recognised by a player.

If all this needs to go in one file then
Annodex might be persuaded to do it, though
I'm not sure that your 'collections of
collections' would be possible. XSPF and
Annodex embedded in Ogg would do it, but
that would be more difficult to implement
than separate playlist and source files,
it would also be more difficult to master.

--
imalone