[ogg-dev] Re: [theora-dev] Re: [Advocacy] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Proposal: An extension to rules all others

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 16:45:13 PDT 2007

On 4/30/07, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I concede with the three extension letters, but oga?
>
> People tend to acknowledge a format by its extension.  That's why we
> have all this people thinking Ogg is Vorbis and that's it.
>
> Imagine someone talking with its budy over IM, "Hey, check out this song."
>
> "Crap, it's that OGA format," the other says.  "My computer can't play
> that shit."
>

> We know it's an abbreviation for OggAudio, but they don't.

That's always the case when you introduce new file extensions - e.g.
how many people would know that they had to throw an mpeg-4 decoder at
3gp?

Maybe we could suggest to continue using the "ogg" extension for Ogg
Vorbis for a transition period until all client software recognizes
"oga"?

Cheers,
Silvia.