[ogg-dev] Re: [theora-dev] Re: [Advocacy] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Proposal: An extension to rules all others

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sun Apr 29 19:44:30 PDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 12:34:25AM +0100, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:

> Xiph Board?  What is this Xiph Board?  I've never heard of it.

I'm not sure what Silvia meant. The Xiph.org Foundation legal entity,
which holds the copyright, owns the servers and so on, is a US
non-profit corporation and as such has a governing board. The bylaws
are designed to make the board very difficult to subvert, and a last
recourse for conflict resolution. Ootherwise the members generally do
not involve themselves in the regular business of the org, which is run
by volunteers like you and me. Monty is the only board member who is
actively involved at this point.

Like most small open source projects, we've tended to make decisions
based on rough consensus among the core developers, with moral authority
flowing from clueful contribution.

Silvia is a fan of more democratic processes, I think, so perhaps that
will change in the future. :)

 -r