[Vorbis-dev] Experimental Bitrate peeler

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Mon May 23 23:19:17 PDT 2005

>      We need inputs with respect to results of this bitrate peeler.
> This bitrate peeler reduces the bitrate by cutting the packets based
> on the factor input provided by the user.

You mean, you peel every packet by throwing away the same ratio of
bits (or bytes, really)?  And with an unmodified encoder?  Forget
it, that is the second worst scheme possible (the worst is throwing
away all packet contents completely).  Been there done that.

To do good peeling, you really need access to the masking curves,
and there is no way to reconstruct that (cheaply) from the info
in current Vorbis streams.  Well there is part of that info in
the floor curves, but the transform used (windowed DCT-IV) plays
nasty aliasing games, most easily heard in the upper frequencies
(but not even the worst there -- adaptive low-pass algorithms
can hide most of this).

>  Source code of this experimental bitrate peeler comes along with our
> free trial version of the decoder.

I couldn't find it...  didn't look too hard, though.

Good luck, I really do hope you _do_ find a magic bullet,

Segher