[Vorbis-dev] CBC ogg/vorbis stream

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Tue Mar 8 02:30:27 PST 2005

Hi List!

In another forum [linux-audio-dev], I wrote:

> CBC Toronto is evaluating the Ogg Vorbis format for Internet
> streaming.
> You can find it here:
>
>  $ ogg123 http://oggtrial.nm.cbc.ca:80/cbcr2-toronto.ogg
>
> It is only 32Kbit but, considering the low bandwith, sounds amazingly
> good. There are some annoying artifacts though:
>
>   Certain announcers gets very metallic voices
>   Piano, Viola da Gamba etc "flutters" reminiscent of a cassette
>   player.
>
> Any idea why it flutters? Is it my player, their encoding setup or
> perhaps a limitation in the Vorbis codec itself?
>

> Oh, and remember to visit their feedback section to give them a thumbs
> up :)

I have since then learned that mp3 also flutters/bubbles at extreme low
sample rates.

This is most pronounced with ie soft solo-piano. Would it help to lower
the samplerate for solo-piano?. Could it be autodetected?

The goal being listening to the musician and the music, rather than his
annoying (lack of?) equipment.
--

   (
    )