[Vorbis-dev] why iriver's ifp series with limitation on ogg/vorbis support

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 00:10:54 PST 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:00:24 +0800, 罗 强 <jim_luo at realsil.com.cn> wrote:
> Hi all, I buy a iriver's ifp-880 portable player, it only can
> play ogg file with bitrate 96kbps-325kbps. I know that
> the higher bitrate of file, the more cpu cycles to comsume in most case.
> For beyond 325kbps,I guess the chip (pnx0101) can't realtimely decode.
> But for ogg file below 96kbps, the cpu performance maybe isn't the bottleneck,
> and I suspect because of the limitation of memory on ifp-880 player, but it has
> an 2 Mbytes external sram.   :(
>         can anybody give me the correct reason of limitation on bitrate support
> range of ifp series?
>         forgive me to paste such an unrelated letter.

>From what other people have said, these players have problems playing
files even if the bitrate only drops below 96 kbps momentarily. So
it's not just that it can't play files encoded with certain parameters
(for example, the larger block sizes used at -q -1).

So, if this is true, I can't guess what the problem with supporting
these low bitrates might be. Perhaps you could ask iriver, since it's
their player? If you manage to find out, we'd be really interested in
knowing why.

Mike