[Vorbis-dev] ARM port?

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 15:00:54 PDT 2005

On 6/21/05, Erik Schieweck <Erik.Schieweck at web.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am new at this list and a developer from germany. I would like port ogg
> vorbis to an ARM based embedded system. I have lots of this boards in stock
> that have an EP7309 processor and a good quality crystal D/A on board. Does
> anybody known if there is an port for ARM available? If not what can I do?
> Could I help to do this work?

This depends on what you want to do. For decoding, there's the Tremor
implementation (also available from xiph.org), which is fully fixed
point, and has some ARM optimisations. If you also require encoding,
the vorbis encoder is floating point, so there would be a lot of work
required to run it at reasonable speed on an ARM processor.

If you're interesting in making a fixed-point encoder, it'd be
fantastic if you contributed it, but if you just want the decoder,
tremor is what you want to look at.

Mike