[Vorbis-dev] ogg/vorbis build system has broken 'make profile'

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Jan 7 11:02:20 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:08:34AM -0800, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 10:18:57PM -0500, Monty wrote:
>
> > While I wasn't looking, examples/encoder-example has become a shell
> > script (libtool is doing this) and 'make profile' no longer produces
> > something with profiling enabled.  Would the build system maintainer
> > please fix this.  If there's no build system maintainer anymore,
> > please let me know.  This is delaying some work I need to do...
>
> The actual executable is examples/.libs/encoder-example. You can call
> that instead, or recover the old behavior with ./configure
> --disable-shared.
>
> Libtool is to blame for the shell script stupidity. The behaviour was
> changed because static linking DOESN'T WORK on recent vintage MacOS X
> (the idiots).

I'm more concerned that make profile is, in fact, not building
anything with profiling.

Do we have a build system maintainer?  If I have to fix this, I'm
eliminating automake and libtool.  Yes, I'm acting out of irritation,
but everytime I ignore the source for a month and come back to it
again, something is broken because of an automake update. Not once
this year have I been able to check out Vorbis and get a completely
successful build.  Someone always fixes it and then, wham, it's broken
with the next automake update.

I'm sick of the entire UNIX build system sitting on quicksand.  We'd
be having less trouble with straight gmake and hand-written makefiles.
If Debian insists that libtool is required, fine, *they* can put the
energy into maintaining a build system.

Monty