[Vorbis-dev] ogg/vorbis build system has broken 'make profile'

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Fri Jan 7 14:48:50 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 02:02:20PM -0500, Monty wrote:

> I'm more concerned that make profile is, in fact, not building
> anything with profiling.

No? 'make clean && make profile' works fine for me after ./configure
--disable-shared. (It probably works fine without it too, but I don't
know how to tell gprof to find the local profile build of libvorbis.so
for symbols instead of using the installed one, like the shell script
does for the executable.)

> Do we have a build system maintainer?

You can yell at me if you want.

> If I have to fix this, I'm eliminating automake and libtool.

Then don't. If you eliminate libtool, it's going to break the build
for a lot of people. If there's a bug, we'll fix it. If you're just
not using it right, get a clue. I can act out of irritation too. :)

> I'm sick of the entire UNIX build system sitting on quicksand.  We'd
> be having less trouble with straight gmake and hand-written makefiles.
> If Debian insists that libtool is required, fine, *they* can put the
> energy into maintaining a build system.

Amen on the quicksand. I disagree however that everyone having the edit
everyone else's damn makefile to get anything to build would actually be
less trouble. I dearly wish there were a better alternative, but there
isn't.

Debian insists on shared libraries, not on libtool. The point of libtool
is to build shared libraries on more that one platform, because the
flags for everone's linker are different. The theory is that working
around libtool's methods is less effort that reimplementing its
functionality. I suppose if you really want to be build maintainer
you're welcome to try proving it wrong.

 -r