[Vorbis-dev] Re: win32 sdk

illiminable ogg at illiminable.com
Fri Sep 24 00:20:48 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralph Giles" <giles at xiph.org>
To: "illiminable" <ogg at illiminable.com>
Cc: <vorbis-dev at xiph.org>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 3:56 AM
Subject: win32 sdk

> Zen,
>
> Now that we have new releases out, could we interest you in doing a new
> version of the win32 sdk? It's different from your directshow plugins,
> but is used by quite a few windows developers, especially in the game
> market, so I think it's worthwhile to maintain separately.

Does it have to be VC6 ? I don't have it anymore... and being 7 years old
and probably close to be out of the support cycle... i would imagine most
developers are already using 2002 or 2003... and just let the new version do
a conversion of the vc6 project files (which isn't great, as many of the
options are not available in VC6). The only reason i can imagine peopel are
still using VC6 by choice is if there is some custom plug-in they must have
which hasn't been updated to the newer versions.

I can definately do a VS2003 set of projects and solution files. In fact
they are pretty much done already (though i haven't done projects for some
of the tools)... i already have a solution in my project called
XiphCoreLibs, which "just works".

I can fairly easily modify them to be a stand alone solution outside of my
project.

> The idea is just to have a set of project files, examle code and
> pre-built dlls so people can immediately start using the library.

The main problem has always been the how the builds are distributed. Windows
solutions are intended to be standalone, rather than, here's a bunch of
libraries you figure out how they work together.

I don't know enough about subversion... but i'm pretty sure if someone can
give me a hand with how externals work, i can create an sdk that will check
out the solution files directly, and point subdirectories to the
vorbis/speex/theora/ogg libraries in the repository, so when they check out
the sdk they get...

WinSDK
-- Builds
-- Solutions
-- Libraries
----Vorbis
---- Speex
---- Theora
---- Ogg

And then it should "just work" with no fiddling around with paths and
dependancies.

This is only necessary, for those who intend to use latest head versions...
rather than a collection of distributed stable releases.

If all that's required is a .zip file containing the projects and solutions
and .dls, without any subversion linkage... this can be done really easily,
i can just create a distribution project directly out of my project with the
layout shown above, and it will just automatically create the source
distribution.

> And updated OggDropXP would be a nice side project from there.
>
> We've also had complaints about runtime linking issues and so on with
> the existing build, so it would be great to have someone who can
> actually verify this stuff to own the releases. Feel free to add support
> for other xiph codecs, libfishsound, or whatever, but I'd say a tidy
> updated vorbis release is the first priority.

Well speex/ogg/theora/vorbis are easy to do... flac is a bit more painful
becuase of it's reliance on NASM... that's not going to be easily fixed.

> Would you be up for that? As you said, our support of win32 isn't great,
> and this is another way you can help. :)

Yep, sure... providing it is VS2003 projects and solutions... i'm going away
for a week tomorrow, so i probably won't get to it by then... as i've got
another release for directshow i hope to complete tonight... but if that
goes smooth, i may even get at least a .zip distribution done before i
leave.

Also.. for those worried about VS2003, the compiler is free to download, and
also VS2005Express (still beta) (with IDE) which undoubtably will load
VS2003 files is also free.

Zen.