[Vorbis-dev] Info-Tags in ogg, flac, mp3, wav

Nathan I. Sharfi nisharfi at csupomona.edu
Sun Oct 10 17:06:29 PDT 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Scott Wheeler wrote:

> On Sunday 10 October 2004 20:40, Stefan Weilhartner wrote:
> > Sometimes i hear of so called ID3-Tags. Is such a Tag specific
> > to mp3 or does it also come with ogg, flac and wav-files?
>
> Most file formats have some sort of metadata associated with them, but the
> formats of those vary from file type to file type.  Ogg Vorbis, Ogg FLAC and
> Speex files use "Comments"; MP3s use ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, etc.

FLAC uses vorbis-style comments whether it's wrapped in Ogg or not; have a
gander at
http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html#metadata_block_vorbis_comment .

Additionally, one can append APE tags to the end of MP3 files; have a look
at http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~pfk/mpp/sv8/apetag.html .

That said, I wouldn't use APE tags for anything other than MP3,
which...well, isn't a large component of my collection.