[Vorbis-dev] Info-Tags in ogg, flac, mp3, wav

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Sun Oct 10 11:49:10 PDT 2004

On Sunday 10 October 2004 20:40, Stefan Weilhartner wrote:
> Hi Volks!
>
> I want to develop a tool wich primary should help me organize my audio
> collection.
> (with database, search function etc.)
>
> First, the tool should scan all drives for audio-files.
> second, it should store information from each audiofile in a database
> (sqlite).
> Storing the filename in the db is of course simple but
> to extract more info from the files, i need file-format descriptions
> from the different file formats (ogg, flac, mp3, wav)
>
> I don't need the WMA-Fileformat, cause it is big Microshit.
>
> Sometimes i hear of so called ID3-Tags. Is such a Tag specific
> to mp3 or does it also come with ogg, flac and wav-files?

Most file formats have some sort of metadata associated with them, but the
formats of those vary from file type to file type.  Ogg Vorbis, Ogg FLAC and
Speex files use "Comments"; MP3s use ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, etc.

> Does somebody have some useful information about how such
> additional info is stored in these files?
> Or do you have some interesting links of file-format descriptions?

Well, there are a lot of specs on this stuff.  There's a bit about Vorbis
comments here:

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

Or information on ID3v2 at:

http://www.id3.org/

You can also check TagLib which supports most of the formats that you
mentioned.

http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib/

-Scott