[vorbis-dev] Diff between RC3 and 1

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar at Jarnbjo.de
Tue May 18 12:00:49 PDT 2004

Frederic Bastien wrote:

>So if I understand correctly, the spec was not changed between RC3 and 1.
>So the difference is only in the program that decode it? So a projet that
>use RC3 is completly supporting vorbis file?

Well., there were actually quite a few significant bugs in the
specification. I started implementing a Vorbis decoder "from scratch"
about 18 months ago, tried to use the specification as reference and
found several relevant differences from the actual implementation
(relevant in the sense of totally incompatible). The specification was
then changed and now probably matches libvorbis. There's one point in
the residue description where I'm not really sure about the correctnes
(I had to base my implementation on libvorbis code instead of the
specs), but Monty claimed it to be correct.

Tor