[vorbis-dev] embedding a lot of vorbis comments

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Tue May 11 13:43:56 PDT 2004

> i know that it's a hack, and that players won't work unless i write my
> own player. I would prefer to add a second, logical stream for my meta
> information instead of abusing vorbis comments. but i'm not a guru
> programmer and i have to admit that i have big troubles to understand
> how to generate packets and write them to ogg pages... at least i
> figured out how to change vorbis comments (thanks to the vorbiscomment
> sources, but otherwise i would have been lost).

The code in the ogg-tools dir in SVN should be pretty clear.  There is a
file that takes MIDI input and outputs ogg pages, and then a program
called oggmerge which merges these two ogg files into a combined stream.
There is also an example player with basic features that plays these
files.  You should be able to start from this and get something working
without having to dig too deep.

We're currently speccing out and writing liboggfile which will make this
whole process of playing multi-logical stream streams much easier, so
you won't have to wait too long until the playback tools are up to
speed.

Ralph and I wrote most of the code in ogg-tools, so if you have a
question, just ask here, and we'll try to help you out.

jack.