[vorbis-dev] Diff between RC3 and 1

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Tue May 18 11:31:16 PDT 2004

Frederic Bastien wrote:
> The only part that I
> will take from it is the part for the mdct decoding. Is this part
> modified?

I´m not sure if I understand your question correctly. I will read it as
"Is the rc3-decoder sufficient for decoding streams created by Vorbis
1.0 and later?"

The answer to this  question is: yes. Every Vorbis decoder starting with
rc2 is a full implementation of the Vorbis spec (which was freezed a
long time ago - only a few mistakes in documentation were corrected).
IIRC rc1 also was a full implementation - although it had some bugs.

If your question is "What codebase should I start from? libvorbis rc3 or
1.0?" I think the answer would be: None of them - use Tremor instead
(which is better optimized and will replace the decoding part of
libvorbis in an upcoming episode named "The Future(tm)").

Of course everybody is free to correct me when necessary *g*

--
EN: Every mail bigger than 35 KByte will be deleted automatically from
my mailbox. Please contact me before sending any attachments.