[vorbis-dev] Reading OGG embedded in a pack file

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu May 6 17:12:08 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 09:25:59AM -0500, Ken Rogoway wrote:
> Somehow I am getting the impression that you do not think I know
> how callbacks work.  I have been programming professionally for
> over 20 years and in C since 1985, C++ since 1990.  The problem is
> not with my understanding of callbacks, it was that I was told by
> someone on this newsgroup that all I had to do was make the stream
> non-seekable buy having my seek callback return -1 and the tell
> callback set to NULL.  This does NOT work for what I am trying to
> do.  However the other suggestion where all of the callbacks point
> to functions that know about my embedded file works just fine.
>
> Please do not put down other programmers. That is a far worse use
> of this newsgroup than people asking legitimate questions.

Most of this can be traced back to Mike being overly snippy, which he
certainly was.  Also, when you first described what you were doing, A
few details were missing that got filled in later in the conversation,
and that crossed unworkable suggestions that were still pouring in.

Regardless, what Conrad and I both suggested does give you exactly
what you want (using callbacks), portably, predictable, maintainably
and reliably, in under a page of C.  Striking on that exact solution
without any additional pain does require someone very familiar with
libvorbisfile, which Conrad and I are (I wrote it and Conrad has
written a workalike).  This usage of the interface has been envisioned
(and intentional) from the beginning.

You have a simple desired technical application, and at this point,
you have a simple, correct and complete technical solution.  Hopefully
that more or less puts things right.

Monty