[vorbis-dev] Re: New Directshow filters preview...

illiminable ogg at illiminable.com
Thu Mar 25 23:02:04 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "ChristianHJW" <christian at matroska.org>
To: <vorbis-dev at xiph.org>; <toff at matroska.org>; <gabest at matroska.org>;
<haali at matroska.org>; <jcsston at matroska.org>; <robux4 at matroska.org>
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 2:53 PM
Subject: [vorbis-dev] Re: New Directshow filters preview...

> > On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 22:17, ozone at algorithm.com.au wrote:
> >>3.  Like many of the core xiph.org projects, our filters are
> >>BSD-licensed, and not GPL-licensed.  (This is important for some
> >>people, since I personally plan to use these filters in contexts
> >>outside of open-source projects.)  I don't want to get into a license
> >>war, I just wish to point out that the difference in licensing may be
> >>the deciding factor for some users.
> >
> > As a tangent to this discussion, does it make any sense to license
> > DirectShow filters under the GPL in the first place?  Seems kind of
> > weird given that their sole purpose is to link to proprietary code.
>
> This is covered by the exception the GNU is clearly doing for parts of
> the OS, when GPLed code has to link to it, and DirectShow is without any
> doubt considered as part of Windows, the OS, so there is no conflict
> releasing a DirectShow filter under a GPL license, especially if you
> have to use GPLed code for it .....

What about these in the base class source code though ? Also the base
classes are provided as part of an SDK and not the OS. This includes class
such a CBaseFilter, CTransformFilter, CBasePin, CCritSec etc.

----
// File: AMFilter.cpp
//
// Desc: DirectShow base classes - implements class hierarchy for streams
//       architecture.
//
// Copyright (c) 1992-2002 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
----

I dunno... i'm no expert on licensing... but it would appear to me that
these files are proprietary code and aren't part of the OS.

I don't know much about the GPL, but i would have that that deriving from
proprietary code (which is imlpicitly including that code in yours, not
linking) would not be permitted.

Zen.

'vorbis-dev-request at xiph.org'