[vorbis-dev] Re: New Directshow filters preview...

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Thu Mar 25 22:53:26 PST 2004

Stan Seibert wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 22:17, ozone at algorithm.com.au wrote:
>>3.  Like many of the core xiph.org projects, our filters are
>>BSD-licensed, and not GPL-licensed.  (This is important for some
>>people, since I personally plan to use these filters in contexts
>>outside of open-source projects.)  I don't want to get into a license
>>war, I just wish to point out that the difference in licensing may be
>>the deciding factor for some users.
>
> As a tangent to this discussion, does it make any sense to license
> DirectShow filters under the GPL in the first place?  Seems kind of
> weird given that their sole purpose is to link to proprietary code.

This is covered by the exception the GNU is clearly doing for parts of
the OS, when GPLed code has to link to it, and DirectShow is without any
doubt considered as part of Windows, the OS, so there is no conflict
releasing a DirectShow filter under a GPL license, especially if you
have to use GPLed code for it .....

Christian