[vorbis-dev] Re: New Directshow filters preview...

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Fri Mar 26 10:00:20 PST 2004

illiminable wrote:

>>>As a tangent to this discussion, does it make any sense to license
>>>DirectShow filters under the GPL in the first place?  Seems kind of
>>>weird given that their sole purpose is to link to proprietary code.
>>
>>This is covered by the exception the GNU is clearly doing for parts of
>>the OS, when GPLed code has to link to it, and DirectShow is without any
>>doubt considered as part of Windows, the OS, so there is no conflict
>>releasing a DirectShow filter under a GPL license, especially if you
>>have to use GPLed code for it .....
>
> What about these in the base class source code though ? Also the base
> classes are provided as part of an SDK and not the OS. This includes class
> such a CBaseFilter, CTransformFilter, CBasePin, CCritSec etc.
> I dunno... i'm no expert on licensing... but it would appear to me that
> these files are proprietary code and aren't part of the OS.

Yes, you are right, using the M$ baseclasses in GPLed DShow filters
could turn out to be problematic. Thats why Ingo Ralf Blum decided to
rewrite most of them for his extraordinary MediaXW project (
http://sf.net/projects/mediaxw ), an opensource collection of DirectShow
filters for various media formats.

These rewritten baseclasses never made their way into the ( meanwhile
anadoned ) sf.net CVS AFAIK, but maybe robux4 has a copy of them
somewhere on his HDD, me and robux4 had direct access to Ingo's server
for a little while. Last i heard they had some bugs also ;) ....

Christian